Friday 12 May 2017

Who am I?

Electors are entitled to know something about anyone seeking their votes.

Briefly, then I am a Chemistry graduate, a retired management consultant, an author, a lifelong campaigner, a long-term local resident and a father and grandfather.

I was born in 1947 and educated at Handsworth Technical School, Birmingham, then read Chemistry at Imperial College. After reluctantly deciding that science was not for me and still needing to earn a living I joined the Post Office as a systems analyst.

I left the Post Office after seven years to join a small consultancy where I worked in computing and telecommunications. In the process I wrote two books and innumerable reports and lectured round the world.

In 1993 I was co-founder of a small consulting business which we later sold to a much larger consultancy. I am now a Visiting Fellow at the Cass Business School.

My campaigning started at 17 when I was a co-founder of the Birmingham Youth Organisation for Relief and Development. I've been a long-term supporter of Practical Action, the leading development charity founded by Fritz Schumacher, which gave me its outstanding contribution award in 2008.

I was an active campaigner for free, legal abortion for many years. I was founding chairman of Education for Choice (which produces educational resources for schools) and for nine years I was a trustee of the British Pregnancy Advisory Service.

At college I joined the Humanist movement and have held various positions over the years. I'm currently Vice-Chairman of the North London Humanist Group. 

After retiring from business life I became very concerned about climate change. After study I concluded that only a wholesale transformation of human society could save us, and the rest of the natural world, from its perils so I joined the Green Party. I've been an active member since 2010 and
the chairman of Enfield Green Party for 2 1/2 years. I'm currently convener of the Party's Climate Change Policy Working Group.

I've lived in Enfield for 28 years. I have two daughters and one grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment